1878-S Morgan Silver Dollar First Year of Issue (XF to AU)
- Free Shipping
The first year of any coin series is always in high demand among collectors. Now, you can own one of the most important silver coins in U.S. history, the first-year issue 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar.
After the last Seated Liberty Dollar was legislated out of existence in 1873, silver mining interests lobbied Congress hard for the creation of another silver dollar coin. Congress' response was the Morgan in 1878...the first coin made under the Bland-Allison Act (which required the Treasury to buy at least 2 million troy ounces of silver every month). Morgan Silver Dollars were named after their designer, George T. Morgan, a talented British immigrant who was hired as an assistant to U.S. Mint Chief Engraver William Barber in the late 1870's. Look closely, and you'll see Morgan's monogram near Lady Liberty's neck on the obverse and on the ribbon's left loop on the reverse.
- This beautiful, historic coin... made from .900 fine silver...is more than 125 years old.
- Minted at the historic San Francisco Mint
- Today, the 1878 Morgan Silver Dollar is among the most highly sought and desired of all U.S. coins.
- Offered here in Extremely Fine condition.
- Expand your collection with this popular silver dollar...purchase yours today!
*The coin pictured is used strictly to show the design and does not represent the condition of the coin offered here.
good quality, good detail, reasonable price
Very ie coin for the price.